keneci Network
News • Science & Tech • Comedy
Telegram CEO Pavel Durov Arrested In France Over Moderation Policy On The Pro-free-speech Messaging App
August 25, 2024
post photo preview

Russian-born founder and owner of Telegram was arrested Saturday, at Le Bourget airport outside Paris shortly after landing on a private jet from Azerbaijan. The 39-year-old billionaire who has dual French and UAE citizenship, has been placed in custody as part of a preliminary investigation into alleged wide range of crimes committed on the messaging app due to a lack of moderation, and a lack of cooperation with police.

Authorities have since reportedly extended Durov's detention to another 96 hours.

There was no initial official confirmation from France of the arrest, but police had reportedly spotted he was on the passenger list and moved to arrest him because he was the subject of an arrest warrant in France.

Telegram is famously known to be among the least censored social media platforms, The company says it "is committed to protecting user privacy and human rights such as freedom of speech and assembly." Durov has resisted attempts to get him to censor legal speech on the messaging app.

“We get too much attention from the FBI and other security agencies whenever we come to the U.S," Durov told popular American journalist and podcaster Tucker Carlson earlier in the year. "The last time I was in the U.S., I brought an engineer who works for Telegram. There was an attempt by cybersecurity officers or agents to secretly hire my engineer behind my back. They were curious to learn which open-source libraries are integrated into Telegram's app, and they tried to persuade him to use certain open-source tools that would serve as backdoors. I personally experienced similar pressure in the U.S. Whenever I would go to the U.S., I would have two FBI agents greet me at the airport, asking questions. My understanding is that they wanted to establish a relationship to control Telegram better.”

A cybersecurity gendarmerie unit and national anti-fraud police unit are reportedly leading the French investigation into Telegram and Durov.

In a statement on X, the company writes: "Telegram abides by EU laws, including the Digital Services Act — its moderation is within industry standards and constantly improving. Telegram's CEO Pavel Durov has nothing to hide and travels frequently in Europe. It is absurd to claim that a platform or its owner are responsible for abuse of that platform."

Russia's foreign ministry said it had sent a note to Paris demanding access to Durov.

Former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said that Durov had misjudged by fleeing Russia and thinking that he would never have to cooperate with the security services abroad.

Russian lawmaker Maria Butina, who spent 15 months in U.S. prison for acting as an unregistered Russian agent, said Durov "is a political prisoner - a victim of a witch-hunt by the West."

Durov arrest drew swift global condemnations with #FreePavel trending on social media, and many comparing France and Europe in general to the totalitarian regimes in China and North Korea where political dissent is not tolerated. Many on X raised concerns over travelling to France as a free-speech-minded tech entrepreneur.

Chris Pavlovski, CEO of YouTube rival Rumble whose platform has been forced to suspend services in France after rejecting regulator's demands to censor some users, wrote on X: "I’m a little late to this, but for good reason -- I’ve just safely departed from Europe. France has threatened Rumble, and now they have crossed a red line by arresting Telegram’s CEO, Pavel Durov, reportedly for not censoring speech. Rumble will not stand for this behavior and will use every legal means available to fight for freedom of expression, a universal human right. We are currently fighting in the courts of France, and we hope for Pavel Durov’s immediate release."

In a earlier post, he noted: "China bans Rumble; France threatens Rumble, we leave; Brazil threatens Rumble, we leave; UK threatens Rumble; Russia bans Rumble; New Zealand threatens Rumble; France arrests Telegram CEO. Free speech is under major assault and I will not stop fighting for it."

X owner and Tesla chief, Elon Musk wrote, "It's 2030 in Europe and you’re being executed for liking a meme." And responding to an X user who asked why Mark Zuckerberg is not facing the same prosecution given the prevalence of prohibited content across Meta platforms like Facebook and Whatsapp, Musk wrote, "Because he already caved into censorship pressure. Instagram has a massive child exploitation problem, but no arrest for Zuck, as he censors free speech and gives governments backdoor access to user data."

Telegram, with close to 1 billion users, is particularly influential in Russia, Ukraine and the republics of the former Soviet Union. The platform is also a political propaganda battlefield used by activists and influential leaders across the world including pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian groups, the Russian government, and Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky and his officials.

Durov launched Telegram after he was pressured by Russian authorities to sell his social media platform VK. His younger brother, Nikolai, designed the encryption used in Telegram, according to Durov.

"I would rather be free than to take orders from anyone," Durov said in April about his exit from Russia and search for a home for his company, which included stints in Berlin, London, Singapore and San Francisco. He finally settled in Dubai, UAE.

community logo
Join the keneci Network Community
To read more articles like this, sign up and join my community today
0
What else you may like…
Videos
Posts
Articles
SpaceX Starlink Internet Satellites

With Starlink internet, data is continuously being sent between a ground dish and a Starlink satellite orbiting 550km above. Furthermore, the Starlink satellite zooms across the sky at 27,000 km/hr! MORE VIDEOS ON KENECI NETWORK RUMBLE CHANNEL: https://rumble.com/c/Keneci

00:28:08
Elon Musk, DOGE Speak On Waste And Fraud

US Department of Government Efficiency Services (USDS) led by Elon Musk speak on the "mind-boggling" fraud and waste in UInited States federal government

00:00:45
January 17, 2025
SpaceX Launches Starship 7th Test Flight

SpaceX successfully executed its second-ever “chopsticks” catch of a Super Heavy booster (or Booster 14) using the “Mechazilla” launch tower on Thursday(Jan. 16), during the seventh uncrewed test flight of the company's 123-meter Starship rocket. However, the megarocket's upper stage(or Ship 33) was lost approximately 8.5 minutes into the flight in a “rapid unscheduled disassembly(RUD)” or explosion

00:10:30
Welcome to Keneci Network!

Join the conversations!

December 09, 2025
Bitcoin White Paper By Satoshi Nakamoto

Bitcoin white paper

Bitcoin_White_Paper.pdf
September 17, 2024
Charges Against Sean 'Diddy' Combs In Grand Jury Indictment

The rapper was charged with racketeering conspiracy, sex trafficking by force, fraud or coercion, and transportation to engage in prostitution in the indictment unsealed Tuesday(Sept. 17)

Combs-Indictment-24-Cr.-542.pdf
post photo preview
Google I/O 2026 AI Deluge Of Products, Features, Upgrades And Hardware Product: Gemini Omni, Gemini Spark, Android XR

At Google I/O 2026, on Tuesday, Google announced a major shift toward agentic AI, positioning Gemini as the central operating layer across its ecosystem. The keynote, led by CEO Sundar Pichai and DeepMind’s Demis Hassabis, highlighted advancements in AI models, hardware, and search capabilities, with Hassabis predicting that Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) is just a few years away.

Gemini 3.5 Flash was released globally as the default model for the Gemini app and AI Search, it is 4x faster than previous frontier models and outperforms Gemini 3.1 Pro in coding and multimodal tasks.

Gemini Omni, a new multimodal family designed for AI video generation and creative workflows, starting with Omni Flash, accepts text, audio, images, and video inputs.

Gemini Spark, a 24/7 background personal AI agent powered by Gemini Flash 3.5 and the Antigravity 2.0 framework, is capable of automating complex tasks and integrating with third-party tools via the Model Context Protocol (MCP).

Google also unveiled its eighth-generation custom AI chips, including TPU 8t for training and TPU 8i for inference, offering 2x better performance-per-watt.

Intelligent Search Box, the first major redesign of Google Search in 25 years, featuring a dynamic AI-driven interface, accepts multi-modal inputs and includes Search Agents that run in the background to track variables like real estate listings or retail drops.

Universal Cart, a shopping tool leverages the Universal Commerce Protocol to aggregate products from across the web, track deals, and facilitate agentic checkout experiences.

In workspace updates, Google introduced Docs Live and Gmail Live for conversational document structuring and inbox management, alongside a new Google AI Ultra plan at $100/month.

In hardware and Android ecosystem, Google introduced Android XR smart glasses, a partnership with Samsung and eyewear brands Gentle Monster and Warby Parker, a display-less audio glasses with deep Gemini integration, supporting both Android and iOS.

Android Halo, a new UI element for Android 17 that displays the status of background AI agents,was also introduced.

The Gemini app, now with 900 million monthly active users, received a visual overhaul called Neural Expressive with new animations and a repositioned interface.

Google also introduced an AI Ultra plan at $100/month and reduced the price of the previous top-tier Ultra plan from $250 to $200/month to provide higher usage limits for advanced tools like Spark and Antigravity.

Google had previewed Googlebooks, an Android-powered laptop successor to Chromebooks, featuring premium materials from partners like Acer, Dell, and Lenovo and powered by Aluminium OS.

Read full Article
post photo preview
Trump Postpones 'Scheduled' Military Stikes On Iran At The Request Of Gulf Leaders

President Donald Trump announced in a Truth Social post Monday, that he was postponing a scheduled military strike on Iran set for Tuesday (May 19), at the request of the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

The leaders—Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan—urged Trump to delay the attack, citing ongoing "serious negotiations" that could lead to an acceptable deal ensuring "NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN."

Trump stated he respected these Gulf allies and, based on their assurances, instructed U.S. defense officials—including War Secretary Pete Hegseth and Joint Chiefs Chairman General Daniel Caine—not to proceed with the strike. However, he emphasized that the U.S. military remains on high alert and "prepared to go forward with a full, large-scale assault on Iran, on a moment’s notice" if the negotiations fail.

During a healthcare affordability event at the White House Monday, Trump told reporters that the proposed deal would ensure "NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN" and that the Gulf leaders feared retaliatory attacks on their energy infrastructure. He emphasized that while the attack was called off, the U.S. military remained on high alert, ready to launch a "full, large-scale assault on a moment’s notice" if negotiations failed.

The decision follows heightened U.S.-Iran tensions over Iran’s nuclear program amid ongoing peace talks, with Iran having recently submitted a revised peace proposal through Pakistani mediators—reportedly deemed insufficient by U.S. officials.

This marked the latest in a series of unenforced deadlines, with previous pauses tied to talks mediated by Pakistan. The U.S. had been pressing Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and surrender its enriched uranium stockpile, while rising fuel prices at home added pressure on the Trump administration.

"Dialogue does not mean surrender," Iran's President Masoud Pezeshkian wrote on X Monday. "The Islamic Republic of Iran enters into dialogue with dignity, authority, and the preservation of the nation's rights, and under no circumstances will it retreat from the legal rights of the people and the country. We will serve the people with logic and with all our might, to the end, and safeguard the interests and honor of Iran."

Trump had previously warned Iran that "the clock is ticking" and that talks could resume "through bombs" if no deal is reached.

Iran has retained and adapted its air defense capabilities despite extensive U.S. and Israeli strikes during Operation Epic Fury, with reports indicating that Tehran has dug up and reconstituted damaged missile sites and shot down several U.S. aircraft, challenging claims of total U.S. air dominance. Critics say this development may have informed Trump's unwillingness to restart U.S. bombinbg campaign.

Iranian forces used mobile and concealed air defense systems, including MANPADS (man-portable air-defense systems) and truck-mounted launchers, to target low-flying U.S. aircraft.

Although U.S. officials initially claimed Iran’s air defenses were "decimated," the shootdown of an F-15E Strike Eagle and an A-10 Warthog in early April 2026 revealed that Iran retained operational capabilities. Experts suggest Iran likely used shoulder-fired Verba missiles—possibly supplied early by Russia—or older systems hidden in bunkers and tunnels. Iran’s doctrine of dispersal, concealment, and independent operation allowed these systems to survive and engage U.S. aircraft effectively.

Despite U.S. efforts to destroy Iran’s underground missile facilities using bunker-busting munitions, up to 90% of these sites remained active or were rapidly restored. U.S. intelligence assessments from May 2026 revealed that Iran had regained access to most of its missile launchers and storage facilities, which had been buried or sealed under debris.

Satellite imagery and intelligence sources confirmed Iran was clearing debris at missile base entrances and exploiting ceasefire periods to rebuild its missile and drone capabilities, aided by foreign components reportedly from China and North Korea. The Pentagon had opted to seal rather than fully destroy many sites to conserve limited bunker-buster stocks for potential conflicts with China or North Korea, contributing to Iran’s ability to recover.

Read full Article
post photo preview
Hormuz Safe: Iran To Launch Bitcoin-backed Digital Maritime Insurance For Ships Transiting The Strait

Iran has launched "Hormuz Safe," a state-backed digital maritime insurance platform that settles premiums in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies, aiming to bypass Western banking sanctions and generate over $10 billion in annual revenue from Strait of Hormuz shipping traffic.

The platform, reportedly developed by Iran’s Ministry of Economy and Financial Affairs, issues cryptographically verifiable insurance policies for cargo and vessels transiting the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz.

Coverage activates immediately upon blockchain confirmation and includes protection against vessel inspection, detention, and confiscation, though it explicitly excludes war damage from direct military strikes. The initiative follows the freezing of more than $344 million in USDT linked to Iran’s central bank by Tether and U.S. authorities, prompting Tehran to accelerate its reliance on Bitcoin for financial sovereignty.

While Iranian officials project significant revenue from the platform, its adoption faces substantial hurdles. Bitcoin’s price volatility and the risk of U.S. secondary sanctions make foreign shipping companies hesitant to participate, as on-chain transactions could flag Iranian-linked wallets.

Iranian officials reportedly said the platform’s website will soon be made widely accessible outside Iran

Read full Article
See More
Available on mobile and TV devices
google store google store app store app store
google store google store app tv store app tv store amazon store amazon store roku store roku store
Powered by Locals